[Home] [Location] [Membership] [Journals] [Other Publications] [Programme] [Past Lectures] [Historical Resources] [Society Matters] [Links]


Front Cover: Ardnabannon House July 1997. Built by Charles Murland. Designed by Thomas Turner in the late 1850s and completed about 1870. PHOTO: Courtesy of Fred Rankin


  1. 'The 1798' - Remembered.....Albert Colmer
    • The role of the Down District 1798 Bi-centenary Committee in co-ordinating and publicising a cross community programme of events to mark the 200th anniversary of the United Irishmen's Rising in Co Down in 1798.
  2. Murlands of Annsborough.....Dr Kathleen Rankin
    • History of linen family over 180 years
  3. Sheepland Windmill.....Peter Davey
    • The gradual crumbling of a prominent landmark.
  4. Down County Infirmary admissions 1908-1926.....Dr. Lawerence Erskine
    • Vivid description of people, diseases and treatments in the first quarter of the 20th Century.
  5. Downe Hospital to celebrate 50 years of caring - can you help.....Albert Colmer
    • Appeal for artefacts for the 50th Anniversary.
  6. Saint Patrick's Way.....Gwen Buchanan
    • A Poem
  7. John Lynn - Architect/Contractor/Engineer.....Gordon Wheeler
    • The career of a prolific contractor etc. in the first half of the 19th Century.
  8. Irish Historic Towns Atlas: Downpatrick.....Fred Rankin
    • The launch of "Downpatrick", the eighth fascicle in the Royal Irish Acadamy's atlas of Irish Historic Towns.
  9. Notes on a Dunsford Mausoleum.....Finbar McCormick and Cecily Parkinson-Cumine
    • The story of a family burial vault.
  10. Ardglass Methodist Church.....Peter Davey
    • Short essay on a small, now vanished community.
  11. Proposed Visitor's Centre - Downpatrick.....Albert Colmer
    • Introduction to the next article
  12. Downpatrick: Heritage under threat.....Richard Warner
    • Proof of Evidence submitted to the Public Enquiry into the Planning Application for a Visitor's Centre at Market Square, Downpatrick.
  13. A medieval landing place at Ringhaddy Castle, Strangford Lough.....Colin Breen
    • A survey of one site by the Maritime Archaeology Project.
  14. Saul Church.....Ian Gilchrist
    • Line drawing
  15. The Medical Hall, Ardglass 1930-1980.....Peter Davey
    • A dedicated 50-year pharmaceutical service to the people of Ardglass.
  16. Strangford Presbyterian Church (1846-1996).....Rev. Dr. W.D. Bailie
    • A history of the Church, Congregation and Clergy.
  17. Strangford Community Association's Plans. New future for Strangford Castle?.....Albert Colmer
    • Possible role of the Castle in the development of the community.
  18. A new beginning.....John Ritchie
    • An exile benefactor and an energetic parish priest breathe new life to school and church in Ballykinler after the Famine.
  19. An ancient route and pilgrim path.....Albert Colmer
    • Gallows Hill and other "pilgrim paths" in Europe.
  20. Russell Gaelic Union celebrates 100 years.....Seamus Byrne
    • Centerary of a local gaelic club.
  21. Some Elizabethan and other maps of Lecale.....Anthony M. Wilson
    • Maps of Lecale from the time of Ptolemy.
  22. Diana, Princess of Wales - a tribute.....Albert Colmer
    • Reflections on a royal tragedy.
  23. St Patrick, Downpatrick and ancient gold......Richard Warner
    • Continuation of an essay in Lecale Miscellany No 13 (1995) deals with the legends of gold finds associated with St Patrick.

Journals MenuBack directional arrow Forward directional arrowIssue No. 16