[Home] [Location] [Membership] [Programme] [Journals] [Other Publications] [Historical Resources] [Society Matters] [Resources]



This page provides links to other sites providing a variety of resources. Suggestions for new links welcome.

Strangford Castle - The Castle overlooks the harbour and the ferry landing. The small tower shared with Portaferry Castle, which can be seen across the narrows, the duty of monitoring ferry activity between the shores and watching the sea traffic in and out of Strangford Lough. `In the time of Queen Elizabeth' reported Harris in 1744 `there was a castle maintained for securing the Quiet of this Country'. The castle appears to date from the 16th century, though there is evidence that an earlier structure was incorporated. 
Photo - Pat Devlin Ards Historical Society
Ballyclare and District Historical Society
Belfast Forum
Biblio Ireland
Charity Commission Northern Ireland
Clogher Historical Society
Coleraine Historical Society
Craigavon Historical Society
Creggan History Society
Culture Northern Ireland
Dictionary of Ulster Biography
Down Cathedral
Down County Museum
East Belfast Historical Society
The Federation for Ulster Local Studies
General Register Office (NI)
The Glens of Antrim Historical Society
Irish Ancestry Research Association
Library Ireland (Online Irish Books)
Linenhall Library
Lisburn Historical Society
Local History Magazine
Millmount Museum and Martello Tower
The National Archives of Ireland
North Down Heritage Centre
North of Ireland Family History Society
Northern Ireland Publications Resource
On-Line Northern Irekand
Poyntzpass & District Local History Society
Public Record Office (NI)"
Raymonds County Down Website
Ros Davies' County Down Website
Royal Irish Academy
St Patrick's Heritage Centre, Downpatrick
South Eastern Education and Library Board
Ulster Architectural Heritage Society
Ulster Historical Foundation
Ulster Local History Trust
Ulster Place-Name Society
Kilclief Castle - along the coast to the north of Ardglass, is the earliest datable example of the `gatehouse' type of Tower House. It was built for Bishop John Sely who became Bishop of Down in 1413, allegedly for his mistress, a matter of great scandal which led to his dismissal. 

Photo - Pat Devlin