[Home] [Location] [Membership] [Journals] [Other Publications] [Programme] [Past Lectures] [Historical Resources] [Society Matters] [Links]


Front Cover: A view of Downpatrick showing the Cathedral, the Judges Lodgings and the old County Gaol (now Down County Museum) - Thomas Semple 1863 - oil on canvas.


  1. The new Chairman writes.........Introduction by James Hawthorne
  2. Crosses in County Down.....Dr Ann Hamlin
    • A brief description of the 14 Irish crosses (all in excess of 1000 years old) still in the county, with some illustrations.
  3. The Recreation Hall.....Dickie Campbell
    • Verse, written at the beginning of the twentieth century. Fond recollections of a local community facility.
  4. The Strangford Stone.....Liz Watterson
    • The story of the raising of the Millennium Stone in Delamont Country Park in June 1999
  5. The History of the de Ros Family (1163-1285).....Colm HT Rooney
    • Second of a series of articles about the antecedents of the de Ros family of Strangford.
  6. In the beginning.....Willie Crea
    • A personal account of childhood in the 1930s.
  7. Uniterian Church Bi-Centenary.....Al Connolly
    • Extract from the Down Recorder December 1909.
  8. The First Dundrum Bay Lifeboat and the wreck of the Coeur de Lion.....Finbar McCormick
    • How the first official lifeboat in Ireland was sited at Rossglass in 1825 and its role in the events surrounding the grounding of the cargo ship Coeur de Lion in Dundrum Bay in 1837.
  9. Down Memory Lane.....John Ritchie
    • Memories of youth in Lecale in the 1940s and 1950s.
  10. Sustainability and Historic Buildings.....Tom Woolley
    • The importance of sustainability building in the protection of our built environmental heritage.
  11. Bishop Jeremy Taylor.....Brian Mayne
    • Short biography of the Bishop of Down and Connor from 1661 to 1667.
  12. Ballynoe - a five thousand year old New Town.....Edited by Anthony M Wilson
    • Notes by Professor Albert van Giffen on his excavation of the Ballynoe Stone Circle in 1937 and 1938.
  13. Americans at Base Camp S-180, Crossger.....Albert W.K. Colmer
    • Memories of WW2 American GIs in the area.
  14. A Short History of the Mill at Ballydugan.....Noel Killen
    • The history and restoration of a local flour mill.
  15. Downpatrick Cricket Club and the Island of Madiera.....Lawerence Erskine (MD)
    • The history of the Cricket Club and its links with the Atlantic island.
  16. Two Case Histories from the Secretary's File.....Patricia D. McCullough
    • Two family case histories.
  17. Down County Museum Annual Review.....Leslie Simpson (Keeper of Collections)
    • Museum events in the year.
  18. The Down Survey of Lecale.....Al Connolly
    • More historical information extracted from the Lansdown Maps.
  19. Miscellanea.....Collected by Al Connelly
    • Extracts from early historical records and learned journals.

Journals MenuBack directional arrow Forward directional arrowIssue No. 19